Moving to Ohio?

Don’t forget your paperwork!

When you’re moving, there are countless things to remember. It’s important to pack all of your belongings securely, and make sure everything arrives at your new home undamaged and accounted for. But there’s more on your to-do list than taking care of your physical possessions—you’ll also have some paperwork to handle.

Cleveland movers, Dayton movers, and others moving to or within the state of Ohio will have to take care of changing their information with a number of different places. In most cases, it’s best to handle it before you move to ensure that you don’t miss anything important.

Changing your address

The simplest way to change your address when you’re moving is to file a change-of-address form with the post office. However, this will have your mail forwarded from your old address, which not only takes longer, but also comes with the risk that you might not get all of your mail. It’s best to change your address directly with various service providers, in addition to filing a change-of-address form.

Contact your credit card companies and your cell phone provider with your new address. If you’re staying with the same bank and switching branches, you should also change your address with the bank.

Moving your utilities

When you arrive at your new home, you’ll need to make sure that all of your utilities—electric, phone, cable, and gas—are turned on when you get there. Your address will automatically be changed with these companies when you make the switch. To allow enough time for a smooth transition, contact them well in advance and schedule the switchover for your move.

Dealing with the BMV

If you’re moving to Ohio from another state, you’ll need to change your driver’s license and vehicle registration with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. You’ll have up to 30 days to register your vehicle with the state. Cleveland movers and others headed to the counties of Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit will also have to pass an emissions test.

Out-of-state movers are required obtain an Ohio driver’s license. If you already live in Ohio, you’ll have to change your address with the BMV. You can do this


Posted on January 28, 2013, in Moving. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post
    is simply spectacular and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming
    post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: